Original Research

Factors and variables to promote a knowledge-sharing culture change in higher education institutions of developing countries

Alfred H. Mazorodze, Peter Mkhize
SA Journal of Information Management | Vol 24, No 1 | a1491 | DOI: https://doi.org/10.4102/sajim.v24i1.1491 | © 2022 Alfred H. Mazorodze, Peter Mkhize | This work is licensed under CC Attribution 4.0
Submitted: 16 November 2021 | Published: 30 March 2022

About the author(s)

Alfred H. Mazorodze, Department of Information Systems, School of Computing, University of South Africa, Johannesburg, South Africa
Peter Mkhize, Department of Information Systems, School of Computing, University of South Africa, Johannesburg, South Africa


Share this article

Bookmark and Share

Abstract

Background: Knowledge-sharing culture permits knowledge reuse, exchange of knowledge, experiences and insights in an institution to achieve strategic goals. Knowledge-sharing requires motivation through rewards and recognition to improve employee engagement. The article provides an analysis of factors to promote a knowledge-sharing culture change.

Objectives: The two objectives were designed to examine the factors that promote knowledge-sharing culture change and to recommend strategies that encourage knowledge- sharing.

Method: An online questionnaire was used to gather quantitative data from a higher education institution in Zimbabwe: a developing country on the African continent.

Results: The results established that rewards, recognition, promotion and bonuses are significant factors in promoting a knowledge-sharing culture change. It emerged that 53.3% of the participants approved that knowledge- sharing is dependent on the disposition of the individual whilst the other 46.7% of the participants were either indecisive or disagreed with the proposition. Rewards are important to the extent that 91.7% of the participants approved the proposition. It was also confirmed by 95% of the participants that recognition adds value to an institution. Moreover, 80% of the participants submitted that recognition contributes to employee retention and engagement. Fascinatingly, 88.3% of the participants settled on the proposition that recognition allows access to top talent and 68.3% concurred that promotion encourages loyalty.

Conclusion: Rewards, recognition, promotion and bonuses are important factors that encourage a knowledge-sharing culture. Rewards strengthen employee value proposition whilst recognition allows access to top talent. Promotion inspires employees whilst bonuses are perceived as signalling employee appreciation, which stimulates a knowledge-sharing culture.


Keywords

knowledge-sharing; higher education institution; organisational culture; recognition; rewards; promotion; motivation

Metrics

Total abstract views: 346
Total article views: 232


Crossref Citations

No related citations found.